By The Hospitable Team
Cleanliness is a top priority for travelers who are very picky when choosing a perfect home to spend their vacation. So even if you own a beautiful property with stylish décor in a great location, it won’t be appealing to your guests if you fail to keep it clean.
If you want happy guests and 5-star reviews on Vrbo and other rental listing websites, you should keep your vacation rental clean to the highest standards. You need to clean your property between guests’ stays thoroughly, which requires good organization and structure.
To make things a bit easier, we’ve compiled a comprehensive Vrbo cleaning checklist. Read on to learn what steps you should follow to get your property in top shape and make that great first impression.
Vrbo Cleaning Checklist
A Vrbo cleaning checklist will help you ensure that your rental property is ready to welcome new guests and make the process much faster. You can also use it as instructions if you decide to hire professional cleaners.
A cleaning checklist will allow you to set your expectations and highlight which areas of your home require the most attention. Then you’ll be sure that your team won’t miss anything when cleaning your rental space.
And vacation rental software like Hospitable.com will allow you to manage your team and assign tasks to them automatically, so you’ll never forget to remind them about the cleaning schedule.
Notify your cleaners on time!
So, what tasks should a Vrbo cleaning checklist include to make your vacation rental property spick and span after every turnover? Let’s get into the details of cleaning your rental.
Throughout the Home
It’s important to ensure that your house is spotless and safe for your guests. So your Vrbo cleaning checklist should include the following general instructions:
- Check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Check for personal belongings left in rooms and collect any items left by guests.
- Check locks to make sure they are working and replace batteries if necessary.
- Check and clean all windows (interior).
- Set the thermostat to an agreed-upon temperature for guest arrival.
- Dust and check all A/C systems, vents, and fans.
- Check to make sure the house is free of any pest infestations to avoid problems.
- Disinfect all high-touch surfaces: handles, doorknobs, and counters.
- Collect all the laundry and put it on to wash and dry.
- Collect and remove all garbage.
- Check for stains on carpets, rugs, furniture, or curtains.
- Vacuum and sanitize all floors, carpets, and furniture.
Living areas need a bit more of your attention because travelers will spend a lot of time there. Ensure that your living room is clean and comfortable for your guests to relax.
- Dust all décor and electronics.
- Wipe light switches, chairs, sofas, coffee tables, and other furniture.
- Clean the interiors of the windows and sliding glass doors and wipe down the windowsills.
- Check under cushions and couches for debris and other items.
- Sweep, vacuum, and mop floors and carpets.
- Organize magazines and other miscellaneous items.
- Make sure a print copy of your welcome guide is in a visible place and is in good condition.
Having a fully furnished kitchen is one of the main reasons today’s travelers choose vacation rentals over hotels. Deep cleaning your cooking space totally pays off because it’s a sure way to get 5-star guest reviews.
- Load, run, and empty dishwasher; clean any dirty dishes and dishwasher rim.
- Take out the trash and replace the trash bags.
- Clean and disinfect counters, cabinets, tables, and chairs.
- Clean the range top as well as the inside and outside of the oven, refrigerator, and freezer.
- Clean, scrub, and sanitize sinks and backsplashes.
- Clean and sanitize small appliances (can opener, coffee maker, microwave, blender, etc.)
- Sweep, vacuum, and mop the floors.
- Place a new paper towel roll, refill dish soap, two dishwashing packs, and a new sponge.
- Clean and disinfect flatware, tableware, glasses, and mugs.
Getting a good night’s sleep is crucial for a relaxing getaway, so investing in quality mattresses and linens is vital. You should also pay attention to every detail and ensure that each bedroom is clean and tidy.
- Strip the bed(s); wash mattress pads, pillow protectors, and blankets.
- Remove all mattresses, then vacuum and wipe down bed frames.
- Remove trash and clean trash cans.
- Check under the bed for any left-behind items.
- Dust all surfaces, including furniture, drawers, shelves, and decorative items.
- Clean and disinfect stereos, TVs, and remotes.
- Vacuum and mop the floors, including underneath the bed and other furniture.
- Ensure closets are stocked with an appropriate number of hangers, extra-clean blankets, and pillows.
- Ensure any décor, artwork, and knick-knacks are arranged nicely.
You should pay special close attention to all surfaces of the bathroom and remove all evidence of previous guests. Follow these steps to make your bathroom is sparkly clean and inviting:
- Clean and sanitize all surfaces, including backsplashes, countertops, sink, bathtub, and faucets.
- Sanitize the toilets, making sure to clean inside, outside, around, and behind.
- Wash and sanitize the toilet brush.
- Clean and polish mirrors and windows using a microfiber cloth and glass cleaner.
- Clean trash can and deodorize.
- Dust and clean drawers, cabinets, and shelves.
- Sweep and mop the floor; clean all baseboards, doors, ledges, switches, and vents.
- Wash and change towels—you need at least two bath towels, two washcloths, and two hand towels.
- Add one roll of toilet paper to the holder and leave two under the sink.
- Ensure that bathroom items, such as the hairdryer, soap dispenser, toothbrush holder, and more, are arranged nicely.
Vrbo Cleaning Guidelines
Due to a global pandemic, travelers have new expectations about vacation rental cleaning standards. Now cleanliness is the major consideration when guests are looking for their holiday accommodations.
That’s why Vrbo has compiled this list of comprehensive cleaning and disinfecting guidelines for hosts to follow. The Vrbo Cleaning Guidelines for vacation rentals are based on publicly available information from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Vrbo recommends hosts update their existing cleaning protocols to ensure they take the right measures to minimize the spread of Coronavirus and other germs. Hosts are encouraged to
- Implement an enhanced cleaning and disinfecting of their property between stays;
- Ensure contactless check-in and check out using a smart lock;
- Wash linen at the highest temperature and dry it completely before storing;
- Provide cleaning and disinfecting products for guests to use.
Vrbo hosts can access any cleaning practices they follow to their listings. This way, you can show travelers your commitment to their health and safety. That will help you stand out among the competition and attract more potential guests.
Let your guests know that you have added these guidelines and protocols to your Vrbo cleaning checklist. Then, travelers will feel more comfortable and be willing to book your vacation rental with much less hesitation.
You’ll get more bookings and will be able to build a successful short-term rental business. Of course, that means more administrative work. But you can reduce your workload with tools like Hospitable.com that will allow you to automate almost all your routine tasks and save tons of time.
All your STR business in one convenient window
Start now with a 14-day free trial.
Guests pay a Vrbo cleaning fee when they book your vacation rental property, so they expect an impeccable home that looks just like the pictures online. Vrbo cleaning checklist makes the turnover process between bookings seamless and helps avoid unpleasant complaints while giving guests peace of mind.
Remember that when your vacation rental is spotless, your guests are more likely to be happy, and happy guests write great reviews. Moreover, they are more likely to rent your property again in the future.
Not sure whether you need to set a Vrbo cleaning fee for your listing? Setting a cleaning fee protects Vrbo hosts from absorbing the cost of cleaning up after their guests depart. Read this article to learn everything you need to know about the cleaning fee and how it will impact your listing.
In the short-term rental industry, one thing is certain: hiring an Airbnb cleaning service for your vacation rental is necessary to ensure consistent turnovers and provide peace of mind. Check this post to learn the top 5 considerations for selecting a professional cleaning company.
When you have back-to-back guests at your short-term rentals, it can be stressful to make sure your cleaners are at the ready at the right time. With hospitable, you can automatically notify your cleaners and avoid that stress altogether.